Wednesday, 17 June 2015

Installing Ubuntu

Installing Ubuntu is very easy but...

  • If you use a USB 3 flash drive it might not be recognised, so try the USB 3 flash drive in a USB 2 port. The USB 3 ports are blue in colour and USB 2 are black.
  • Use a USB 3 drive! If you have one, installation is much, much faster with one of these, even in a USB 2 port.
  • There a two types of encryption available. One encrypts the system files, and the other encrypts the Home folder and all your files.
    The problem with the above is that if you have a crash of some sort and all your files are encrypted.
    So when you use say a USB drive with Ubuntu on it to recover your files, guess what– yep you can't do anything with them because they are encrypted!
  • If I encrypt the system files instead of the Home folder, I found I have to start Ubuntu twice to get it working.
    That's because the screen would be blank on first startup and would be fine upon restarting. So now I don't bother encrypting the system files. 

...

No comments:

Post a Comment